shewaswarned: (and keep it behind lashes)
Ellen Parsons ([personal profile] shewaswarned) wrote2013-02-12 02:34 pm
Entry tags:

(no subject)

It doesn't take a genius - or a lawyer, even - to know that Valentine's Day isn't going as planned. Ellen spends the majority of the afternoon testing her limitations on the only audience she has at this point - Zeus, who doesn't seem fairly inclined to care whether she's telling the truth or not. In the end, it only makes her more frustrated and she stays silent for the remainder of her waking hours, pouring herself a glass of wine to enjoy on her front porch, alone.

She is grateful for the company of her dog, who can always sense when something is wrong and who always proceeds to drape himself over her lap as a result. She falls asleep on the couch with him on the floor beside her, one hand absently drifting into his fur.

When she wakes up, there's nothing more than a crick in her neck and a wet nose nudging at her arm to get her to rise, and she stretches in the rumpled clothes she's slept in as Zeus licks at her fingers. "Good boy," she murmurs, almost absently - and then her eyes snap open with the revelation that it's the first truth she's been able to utter since before yesterday. The morning hours pass in a whirlwind - she showers, dresses, and then leaves a whining Zeus indoors with a promise to let him outside later for play before taking off for Matt's at a near-run.

It's late enough, she thinks, that she won't be waking him up - he's an early morning riser - but she doesn't want to wait until he comes back to hers, tapping at his front door in a flurry of knocking before it opens and everything she's been dying to say falls from her lips in a rush.

"I'm sorry," she declares, still slightly winded, her hair damp and wavy from air-drying. "You're - you're not mediocre, you couldn't be farther from mediocre, and the other night was amazing, but really I haven't learned to expect any less from you, and I promise I know perfectly well what color the sky is, or that you're blind, or that your relationship with my dog is like walking on eggshells at best. I hate that the island managed to screw up everything up, but I'm so, so sorry, and I love you, and did I mention I was sorry?"
manwithoutfear: ([ba] shyster lawyer crap)

[personal profile] manwithoutfear 2013-02-12 10:26 pm (UTC)(link)
It's a lot of information to wake up to, though I haven't been asleep for hours. I've only been home a handful of minutes, in fact, having just returned from meditation class (and God knows I needed it, after yesterday). I'm still dressed in sweats instead of my preferred suits, feet bare against the wood floor. I can only be that I didn't run into any showers on the way home.

After all, I'd hate to be soaked to the bone for an admission of love.

Time has no meaning here, days easily turning into months without remark. I don't know the day we could mark as an anniversary, when this arrangement morphed from something easy and casual to something... More. Ellen's one of the few people I have left to me, so many friends and acquaintances having disappeared within the last year. I hardly noted their vanishing; it seemed easier, somehow, to not acknowledge that they'd left. Denial's always fit me like glove. But if Ellen were to join them...

I don't know that denial would be an option. My heart seems to stop, suspended in my chest for a prolonged moment. I try not to think of Milla or Karen or Elektra or any of the other women who have told me the same only to regret their words. I try to focus on the sound of Ellen's voice, the faint floral smell hanging in the air. I try to think of something to say.

"...it came up," I murmur, stepping back to let her inside. "--Good morning."
manwithoutfear: ([ba] with the stilts?)

[personal profile] manwithoutfear 2013-02-13 01:09 am (UTC)(link)
"I was wondering when you were going to get around to that," I say dryly, closing the door behind her once she's inside. A smile twitches over my lips almost in spite of myself, my mind still working to play catchup with my heart. It's been a long time since I was loved, and I don't know the first place to start.

I reach out for her. "You--?"
manwithoutfear: ([ba] with the stilts?)

[personal profile] manwithoutfear 2013-02-13 02:08 am (UTC)(link)
"Love me," I say, fighting off surprise. I'm smooth. I would go so far as to say I'm suave. I'm good with words. Just... Not at the moment, evidently. I could blush.

"...and don't think I'm mediocre in bed, that's-- I'm glad for the confirmation on that one."
manwithoutfear: ([ba] bids you closer)

[personal profile] manwithoutfear 2013-02-14 05:23 am (UTC)(link)
"I--"

I let out a breath, a smile ghosting over my mouth. It's a strange feeling, especially in a place that's designed to be so temporary. Pulling Ellen closer, I drop a kiss into her hair. Against her temple, I murmur, "Love you, too."
manwithoutfear: ([ba] with the stilts?)

[personal profile] manwithoutfear 2013-02-21 06:02 pm (UTC)(link)
A laugh slips past my lips. Lifting a hand, I smooth it over her hair, still-damp strands sticking to my skin.

"You rushed over here just to soothe my ego?" I tease, maybe relieved to hear it all the same. I might not always be a great boyfriend, but I had put some stock into my ability to be a good lover.
manwithoutfear: ([ba] that's pretty funny)

[personal profile] manwithoutfear 2013-02-24 07:08 am (UTC)(link)
I hum a low note, letting my head fall back under her care, encouraging her to keep going. Mediocre hardly describes our love life. Ellen has always been exquisite in this department.

"I think I could use more clarification," I murmur.
manwithoutfear: ([ba] with the stilts?)

[personal profile] manwithoutfear 2013-03-01 12:49 am (UTC)(link)
My skin flushes warm, muscles tightening in anticipation as her hands wander lower. I suck in a shallow breath, lips parting around a satisfied sigh. The thought occurs to me that we should relocate to somewhere more comfortable than the entrance to my home, but for the moment I can't be bothered to voice the suggestion, my hips tilting up into her touch.
manwithoutfear: ([mm] let's stay in bed)

[personal profile] manwithoutfear 2013-03-10 12:00 pm (UTC)(link)
Whatever plans I had for the rest of the day are shot by the time we're done, my body feeling warm and heavy and sated, the tension I've been carrying since yesterday morning little more than a distant memory. All I want to do is sleep, my eyes drooping heavy as I nestle in closer, a hand seeking out Ellen to hold her against me, pulse still fluttering as my stomach does a pleasant sort of flip. I grin into her hair, the weight of our earlier confessions hitting me again, and now that the moment's come and past, I wonder why I held off for so long. It's almost freeing.

"Mm."

manwithoutfear: ([ba] that's pretty funny)

[personal profile] manwithoutfear 2013-03-10 01:24 pm (UTC)(link)
"Barely," I admit with a huff, stretching my neck to give her more space in silent encouragement. Even here I'm not the type to laze around in bed all day, but I'll admit the thought carries more and more appeal the longer we do just that.

"Talk about a helluva way to go."
manwithoutfear: ([mm] let's stay in bed)

[personal profile] manwithoutfear 2013-03-10 02:59 pm (UTC)(link)
"Among other things," I chuckle, head tipping back onto the pillow. Even at this hour it's too hot to bother pulling up the sheets, so I don't bother, forgoing any attempts at modesty. The light breeze slipping through the slatted windows is too enticing to give up and we've already shared a greater intimacy than nudity.

"I love you," I say for the second time today, voice barely above a whisper. The words sit funny on my tongue, too long unspoken, but practice will make it more comfortable again.
manwithoutfear: ([mm] let's stay in bed)

[personal profile] manwithoutfear 2013-03-12 06:40 pm (UTC)(link)
"Think we'll be missed if we just stay here the rest of the day?"

I know the answer, at least where I'm concerned. Too many people have disappeared; my social circle's dwindled down to acquaintances from home and Natalya. The person who'd miss me most is right here in my arms, a notion that's either unspeakably romantic or sad beyond words. I choose to dwell on the former.
manwithoutfear: ([ba] with the stilts?)

[personal profile] manwithoutfear 2013-03-12 07:44 pm (UTC)(link)
"You should invest in a doggy door and a fenced yard," I tell her, tipping my head back just enough to get comfortable.

"Some sort of automated feeding device..."
manwithoutfear: ([ba] with the stilts?)

[personal profile] manwithoutfear 2013-03-12 09:04 pm (UTC)(link)
"Leading the witness," I say, cracking another smile. They come so easily around her. "I object."
manwithoutfear: ([mm] let's stay in bed)

[personal profile] manwithoutfear 2013-03-17 01:39 am (UTC)(link)
"We should shower," I say after another lazy moment, tucking my nose into her hair. Moving still holds little appeal -- sleep sounds nicer -- but if another activity is going to be on the menu, at least showering's another one made better with two.

"Eventually. I'm not in a rush."
manwithoutfear: ([mm] let's stay in bed)

[personal profile] manwithoutfear 2013-03-22 11:40 pm (UTC)(link)
"I'll wash your back if you'll wash mine," I reply, and in a fit of energy I flip us, balancing my weight on my elbows as I lower myself over her. I sneak a kiss under her jaw, nipping a little at her ear.

"Deal?"
manwithoutfear: ([mm] let's stay in bed)

[personal profile] manwithoutfear 2013-03-26 01:36 am (UTC)(link)
"True."

I nuzzle at her neck, lips brushing over her pulse. She smells incredible, her skin like silk.

"Might be worth the sacrifice."
manwithoutfear: ([mm] let's stay in bed)

[personal profile] manwithoutfear 2013-03-29 12:55 am (UTC)(link)
It's all the convincing I need to stay right where we are, at least for a few more minutes, carefully sinking down back next to her so she doesn't have to bear my weight. I feel my eyes flutter shut as another easy smile threatens the corners of my mouth.

"Mm. Later."